Heritage you can count on
Hallidays was first set up by Charles Edward Halliday on 1st November 1843 at offices in King Street, Manchester. Charles Halliday was a Scot and the father of 11 children. We continued to act for his family until 1994 when his great, great grandson, who was a local GP, retired to Australia.
Charles Halliday subsequently entered into partnership with William Welch Deloitte and we traded as Deloitte Halliday until 1887, when one of the partners at that time, James Halliday, was appointed as chairman of the Manchester and Liverpool District Bank. We continued our connection with the District Bank as auditors until the early 1970s when the bank was taken over by National Westminster Bank Limited.
Following the dissolution of Deloitte Halliday, Mr Arthur Pearson joined us in 1887. We then traded as Halliday Pearson from offices at 20 Booth Street, subsequently moving to 13 Spring Gardens in 1893.
A family business
The Halliday family was prominent in other businesses within Manchester at the time and family members founded both Halliday Simpson (Stockbrokers) and Halliday Meecham (Architects).
We grew significantly in size, and by 1913 were the auditors of 13 companies listed on the London Stock Exchange, together with several local authorities, banks and other companies associated with the Lancashire cotton trade, as a consequence, we were in the top 20 by size in the country.
We continued with members of the Halliday family as partners until 1936. Two of the sons of Donald Halliday qualified as chartered accountants, and were destined to continue the family tradition until both were tragically killed within 5 days of each other in the Battle of Britain. We acted for the widow of one of the pilots, Nora Halliday, until her death in the 1980s. Although she had only been married for a matter of weeks she always enquired as to how everyone was at her family’s firm and she always regarded herself as the last Halliday to be connected to us.
We traded until 1972 from 11 Spring Gardens, which is now the site of the NatWest building. Hardy Holt and Arthur Langford were both partners for many years and around the time of the latter’s death, we amalgamated with two other well-established Manchester practices: Lysons, Howarth and Sankey and Crofts and Naylor. Our enlarged firm then moved to Harvester House in Peter Street, which was our home for the next 21 years.
We continued to act for a number of public companies including the Dorman Smith Group (which oddly prided itself on providing the switchgear equipment for the Titanic), Francis Shaw, Davies & Metcalfe railway engineers, Medminster and Stavert Zigomala. Many other local family companies have been clients for a number of generations, and many of the families for whom we act can be traced back to companies who were successful in the Lancashire Cotton Industry.
Manchester chartered accountants
Many of our past partners were involved with the Manchester Society of Chartered Accountants over the years and in 1971, Arthur Halsall Walton was appointed national president of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, thereby becoming the “top” chartered accountant in the land for 12 months.
In 1993 we moved office to Portland Buildings in Portland Street and grew in size following acquisitions of a number of local firms including Griffiths Wilson and Charles and Partners.
Throughout our long history we’ve trained accountants, and we’re proud that today six of our eight directors trained with us. All this history means you can trust us to help you grow towards a bright future.