Official figures show that claims to employment tribunals have soared by 90% since the recent abolition of fees*
Employment Tribunals (ETs) resolve disputes between employers and employees over employment rights. Usually these relate to unfair or constructive dismissal, wage deductions, redundancy payments and employment discrimination.
In 2013, the Government introduced fees for taking a case to an ET which led the number of cases plummeting by 70%. On 26th July 2017, these fees were deemed unlawful. With this barrier removed for employees, there has been dramatic rise in the number of cases being brought to tribunals.
What does this mean for you?
It is crucial to ensure your business is not vulnerable to disputes which can be stressful, time consuming and expensive to resolve, in addition to disrupting your business. Last year, the average amount awarded for unfair dismissal was around £13,000. The largest was more than £400,000.
How you can protect your business
These are some of the ways you can protect your business from Employment Tribunal cases:
- Understand the Employment Law changes in recent years and how they affect your business
- Ensure you have up to date employment contracts, policies and procedures in place to provide clarity for your team and minimise the risk of disputes
- Quickly resolve issues with employees to reduce the risk of these escalating into tribunal cases
- Create a happy team. Behavioural Profiling is a great way to build your team, improve communication and create a productive working environment
If you would like any further advice or support please contact Hallidays HR team on 0161 476 8278 or email@example.com.
* Source: Tribunals and Gender Recognition Statistics Quarterly, October to December 2017 (provisional), published 8 March 2018